Monday, November 29, 2010

Love that Does.

"DON'T PAY CHRISTIANS TO BE CHRISTIANS, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A CHRISTIAN."

JP has shared so much truth the past two Sundays it has really got me thinking…

Are we settled on knowing God conceptually, or do we truly know God? Do we have a relationship that when He comes back…Christ will invite us to come with Him? (Isaiah 66:2, Matthew 5:6-7, Luke 14:27)

Do we have a LOVE that SEEKS out the needy, SERVES them not by what they deserve but by what they need, and SENDS others towards Christ- compelling them to want to know our God? (James 1:27, Hebrews 13:2, Matthew 25)

It is sad to me that the same excuses Jesus talks about in Luke 14, that they used to not come to his banqueting table, are the same we use today. We have misplaced priorities because of our possessions, professions, and people in our lives. So often we let the good things in our life distract us from the ultimate. I pray that we stop filling our lives with stuff, and start filling our lives with Christ.http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif

I felt convicted about how selfish I often can be, and how I have had the attitude of what is going to happen to me if I stop and help someone? Maybe I’ll be late to where I am going. Compared to the attitude of the Samaritan, what will happen to them if I do not stop to help? It truly concerns me that selflessness is so uncommon that it seems crazy. I pray that we would live selflessly, generously, and show mercy to others.

Why do we look at others and ourselves in terms of what we deserve? We deserve nothing, yet have been given everything. We have been given grace, upon grace, upon grace...why do we not love others this way? Like JP said, there are a lot of people doing good in this world (see Oprah), but if it is not done in the name of the Gospel we are just building this world…instead of the eternal kingdom. (Titus 3:4-7) I pray that we would never forget what Christ has done for us, and that we would continue sharing the Good News with all those we meet. I pray that our good deeds would be out of love for Christ and always point back to Him.

I know these are a lot of thoughts, but we seem to often forget the greatest commandments: love God and love others. (Matthew 22:37-39)

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble." (1 Peter 3:8)

www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: