Wednesday, January 16, 2013

God is with You Today.


In 2010 I met my friend Sarah while we were volunteering for a church retreat. Soon after I joined a community group that she was in, and honestly I didn't know what to think of Sarah. She was quieter than most of us in the group that have large personalities, and wasn't sharing as much with us about things going on in her life. As we spent time in group though there was something about her that made me really want to be her friend. Almost 3 years later I thank the Lord for my friend Sarah and what I've learned from her.

As we became friends Sarah was always the friend to follow up. If I was upset about something or excited about something, she was always a friend who emailed or called to see how I was doing, and faithfully give me scripture and remind me about God's goodness. I can't think of a conversation I've had with Sarah where she wasn't either teaching me something about the Lord, or reminding me of what His Word says. This past Monday lunch with Sarah was no different. To give you some background though about why we were meeting for lunch here are some clips of emails Sarah has sent me during the last couple years:

1/14/11
"My mom was diagnosed with cancer last week Tuesday...
And mostly, please pray that God will be glorified in all of this, that we will be obedient and trust him completely..."

2/4/11
"...They got EVERYTHING out!!! We all started crying when she hung up. That simple phone call meant the world to us! It means for sure no chemo! The only not so good news we got is that the type of cancer it is has a tendency to come back easily, but it doesn't matter, we already beat the worst part!!"

4/26/11
"...She'll have the full body scan and they will know that day if the cancer is back. For some reason she feels it's back, we keep telling her it's just paranoia, but she's not buying it.  If you all could just be praying for her and my dad, that they wouldn't worry, it's in God's hands, I would really appreciate it..."

7/9/12
"...On Tuesday, my Mom found out that her cancer is back...
If you all could please be praying for my family, for the doctors and a plan, for rest and comfort for my Mom and Dad, and for clarity for my brother and I on what we need to do.  I believe as we build a relationship with Jesus, that he prepares us for times like this, for times when all we have is faith and hope in Him.  I've been spending months preparing to share the gospel with people across the world, but that preparation is what is going to carry me through this trial.  I don't understand why this is happening but I believe that we live in a dark and fallen world and until Jesus comes back, we will deal with cancer and pain and loss.  But the joy in that is he IS coming back! When that day comes, this will all be over and we'll live in forever bliss!  This could be nearing the end of my Mom's life, I don't know that, but we're going to fight this and my hope and faith is resting
on that promise alone..."

12/13/12
"...So as some of you know, my mom went in for her tests last week...Long story short, on Monday, she went in to get the test results and it's not good news.  The cancer didn't grow, however it has metastasized and is now in her liver and lungs.  They are small spots in both, but it's still there.  This is not what we wanted at all.  Everything I know about sarcomas is that you are good until it metastasizes, they just keep cutting them out until then.  But metastasis is, as far as I know, the beginning of the end...I will say that thoughts of moving back to Kansas have been front and center...I'm just not sure what to do.  I'm not sure about anything right now, I'm just so torn and confused and  hurting with all of this.  I do know that God is good all the time, there is nothing that surprises him, even if it surprises us.  2 Corinthians 12:9-10 says "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."  (Shane & Shane has a song about this verse called Grace is Sufficient, kind of fitting)..."

You see Sarah's mom has been battling cancer the last couple of years, but her faith through this storm is incredible. Her faith is being tested and she is continuing to trust in the Lord, and lean even more into him. We had lunch this past Monday because she has made a wise decision to move back to Kansas and be with her family during this time. During our lunch Sarah continued to be the friend I've grown to cherish. She shared with me some of what she is currently learning and I took some notes:

1. We are often emotional thinkers, so when you think you have to have truth and faith so much louder than your emotions. 

2. The only thing you can be sure of is God is walking with you through whatever you are going through. 

3. God is with you today. 

I ask that if you read this you will take some time to pray for Sarah, her mom, and her family. I also hope that we all become a little more like Sarah: a faithful friend, someone who follows up, someone who points others to Christ, someone who lives out her faith in the midst of trials, someone who serves her family and friends well, and someone who never makes it about her, but always about the Lord. 

I'll miss my dear friend, but am so proud of her. I thank God for all she has taught me these last couple of years. God is indeed with us, each and every day. 

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear... 
-Psalms 46:1

But now, this is what the LORD says- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you...Do not be afraid, for I am with you...
-Isaiah 43:1-5a-

No comments: