Monday, February 11, 2013

BE EXPOSED

Are you afraid of being exposed?
My community group is going through John right now and last week did John 3. It's been awesome diving into the Word with some amazing women who all bring great insight each week on what they are learning. John 3 holds one of the, if not the, most well known verses from the bible:
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." 

This is how much God loves us. He gave his one and only Son for us that we might have eternal life. That is amazing love! But keep reading...
"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” -John 3:17-21

There is so much in this passage, but the part that hit me most this time reading is verse 20:
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

I've read John 3 many times, but the word EXPOSED stuck out so much this time and really struck a chord with me. I think often times we don't turn to God, or don't want to go to church, or don't want to be honest with people because we are afraid of being EXPOSED. 

I think that fear comes because of many reasons. We are afraid people might "judge" us. They might tell us to stop what we are doing. They might see that we aren't "perfect". We know what we are doing is wrong, but we don't want to admit it. Or we don't want to admit that we are struggling with something, or that we are hurting.

Before I found my current church, Watermark, I was afraid to admit how much I was hurting. I had never dealt with a lot of pain from my past. I wanted to appear strong and that I had everything together. I acted like life was great and I was living it up. I was living a lie. I was hurting, hiding, and trapped in the darkness. I've found the greatest freedom and healing though in bringing things into the light and being exposed. If you wonder what that means, "bringing things into the light", it simply means what the next verse says...being truthful. Letting others in your life know what's really going on. Being transparent. Not sitting in the darkness trying to hide the truth. Being completely transparent with a couple girl friends about my actions, thoughts, fears, insecurity, doubt, and struggles has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. They sharpen me, encourage me, pray for me, and continually call me to something greater...following and trusting Jesus. 

Being exposed is a good thing, because as you walk in the light the Lord can heal you. Restore you. Redeem you. Bring others along side you to encourage you, help you, and love you. Then you truly get to see more of how amazing God is. How faithful and good your loving Father is. And let me tell you HE IS GOOD. HE IS FAITHFUL. 

When you aren't exposed it will keep you from ever having a great relationship with those in your life, and more importantly you will always feel that distance between you and God.

Light has come into the world, the light is Jesus. Don't be the men and women that "love darkness instead of light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed."

As I've been reading for tonight's community group, and reading the next chapter in John, I am reminded by the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. God already knows what you are doing. He knows what you've done too. And he still loves you and wants to give you eternal life, living water, and free you from the darkness. That is why he sent his one and only Son, Jesus. Turn to Him and those in your life. There is nothing you have done to keep him from loving you. It doesn't matter how many times you have done it. There is nothing bigger than the cross. Be honest. Be exposed. Be set free.

No comments: