Monday, May 23, 2011

Stop Playing Games.

"I don’t know if there is such a thing as lukewarm Christianity. We live in a lukewarm society so we think it’s okay, but Revelation 3:15-16 says, 'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.'" (JP)

I agree with JP; lukewarm Christianity sucks. It wears you out. The world and your walk with Christ both lose because you can’t enjoy either. Far too often we become cultural Christians. We say we are a Christian because that’s all we’ve ever known, but there is no heart connect. Our lives don’t reflect that of Christ, and we try to play the game half way. The thing is you can’t play halfway. Christianity isn’t something you tack onto your life. It isn’t a trailer. It is your whole life. We are called to live out our faith, to actually live like we believe in what we say is true.http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif

I remember a couple years ago when I finally surrendered to Christ, I had a really tough time. As Christ changed my heart and my desires I started to feel pulled between hanging around my old crew that I used to party with and having a hard time trusting new people that I would meet at church. I continued trying to fit in both places, one foot in and one foot out. I realized after failed attempts at being a part of both worlds that I wanted to be all in for Christ. I knew what the world had to offer and I was tired of the temporary satisfactions that never led to peace and joy. It hasn’t been easy, but God doesn’t call us to be comfortable, in fact he tells us it will be difficult, but he promises that it will be worth it. And you know what? It is SO WORTH IT!

"As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. For this is the reason the gospel was preached..." ~1 Peter 4:2-6

As JP went through Philippians 2 last Tuesday, one thing really stuck out: "Christ is enough. We don’t live like we believe this. We think we need Jesus AND (a relationship, job, car, money, popularity, looks, etc). We live like He’s not enough."

To be honest this is something I still have to work through. There are times when things don’t go how I’d like them to and I get discouraged. In the moments of disappointment, I sometimes act like Jesus isn’t enough, but when things don’t go my way it’s not for me to understand, know, or plan. The right thing for me to do is shine.

People are watching us who say we are Christians, are we shining for him?

One thing I have to do is check myself with these questions: Am I worrying more about myself, a guy, money? Or am I spending time with and serving the Lord trusting that God is enough and he’s got me?

God is faithful and worth going ALL IN. Stop playing games.

Video: This Little Light of Mine ~ Addison Road


www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: