Monday, May 16, 2011

Royal Wedding.

How much time do you spend thinking about yourself?

Writing this week is difficult because I know I am guilty of thinking too much about myself at times, and worrying too much about what others think of me. JP gave a great message as we completed Philippians 1 and started Philippians 2. He gave a great illustration of the Royal Wedding and how Kate, the commoner, became royalty and how we all love that Cinderella story. We all long to sit on the throne. We love when the underdog wins, like Rudy! It’s engraved in us, but in a different way than we too often think. We are sons and daughters of THE KING. We inherit HIS kingdom, HIS righteousness, HIS glory...not because of anything we’ve done, but because of what Christ did on the cross.

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

Christ humbled himself and gave His life FOR YOU. Have you reflected on the cross lately?http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif

“God is worth so much more than a hand raise, church attendance, and casual confession. He is worth absolute abandonment.” –David Platt

In which way are you living your life: Here I am to be worshiped, or here I am to worship? Scripture tells us, “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me’.” (Matthew 16:24)

“We miss the cross because we want the throne.” –JP

We want His blessings, His joy, His peace, but we don’t want to humble ourselves. God is very clear on how He opposes the proud, exalts the humble: Luke 14:11, Luke 18:14, Matthew 23:12.

It is crazy how bad we miss the mark, how bad we make this life about us instead of loving God and loving others. Being selfless isn’t thinking less about yourself, it’s thinking about yourself less. Craig Groeschel made a great point at Catalyst that the biggest struggle with our generation is the sense of entitlement. We seem to think that we deserve so much, and judge others quickly. Can you see Christ and His children, or are you too busy thinking about yourself? Please know that I am asking myself these same questions. My prayer is this:

Lord, I pray that we would be a generation that is not selfish, but one that is full of love, compassion, and selflessness. That we would see others as children of God, not judging or ignoring them. I pray that we would use all the gifts and talents the Lord has given us to advance His Kingdom and glorifying His name. Father I pray we would humbly come before you, realizing the greatness of the Gospel. Reflecting and always remembering that you, fully deity and fully human, were crucified on the cross for us. That through your resurrection you defeated death...death that we so greatly deserve. I thank you for your never ending grace and love. I pray we wouldn’t miss the cross chasing after the throne.

Here I am Lord, send me...


www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: