Monday, February 14, 2011

It's Valentines Day.

Valentine's Day aka Single Awareness Day or as I like to call it February 14th just like any other day of the year. To be honest the last couple years I've hated this day. I used to wonder what was so wrong with me? Why didn't I have a date, boyfriend, or a guy to send me flowers and chocolate (besides my dad)?

The truth is Valentine's Day isn't the only day that I've worried, was anxious, and feared being single. JP spoke last Tuesday on fear (anxiety/worry) and I loved when he said:

"Our idols make us anxious. Those things we've put our hope in."

For some of you the idol may be job or financial status, but for me there was much of my life my hope was in having a boyfriend/husband. My hope, my belief, was that if I just had a relationship life would be complete and everything would be ok.

While talking about that fear, JP said, "It distracts us so much to where we can't focus. We stress that we don't know what the answer is and ultimately it robs us of productivity."http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif

It makes me cringe to think about the amount of time I've wasted worrying about if a guy was going to call, if he liked me, if he was going to ask me out. It's so true that fear can completely consume us, make us think illogically, and completely rob us of productivity. It allows the devil this huge foothold in our lives. We lose focus that GOD IS GOOD. SOVEREIGN. FAITHFUL. HE IS LOVE and so much more!

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'" (Romans 8:15)

I love how far the Lord has brought me. I honestly could care less if I get flowers or have a date today. What I care about today is am I loving, serving, and obeying God? Or am I chasing mirages that look good and pleasing only to find out they will never satisfy what can only be satisfied by my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

I love that God hasn't changed my circumstance of being single, but that he's changed me. This past year of being single I've gotten do more things than ever, and experience Christ in an even greater more intimate way than I ever imagined. This time hasn't been wasted. It has been incredibly fun and productive!

"Faith is not asking God for what you want and expecting Him to give it to you. Faith is trusting what you have is what God knows you need."

Whether we are in a relationship or not we are children of God. We are loved...

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

THAT IS LOVE.

Praying for you all~

Praying not that you would have a valentine, but that you would already know how greatly loved you are!


www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: