Monday, January 31, 2011

Driving Under the Influence of Christ.

Stop whatever you are doing, no really STOP for just a moment....

Where have your thoughts been today? Where were most of your thoughts this weekend? Worrying about work, relationships, money....thinking about sex, drugs, when the next party is....where have your thoughts been?

JP really challenged me last week with living under the influence of Christ. I loved when he said, "TAKE YOUR THOUGHTS CAPTIVE. Doing this prevents the sin, which prevents death."http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5)

To be honest, my thoughts are all over the place much of the time. Thinking of where I need to be, what I need to be doing, am I doing good enough? Thoughts of wanting a relationship, a cute pair of jeans I saw, when can I go on vacation?

The problem with most of my thoughts is they have nothing to do with the Lord or trusting in him. My thoughts have all to do with my desires. "Driving under the influence of self." The last month or so I’ve really been working on taking my thoughts captive. This literally means turning my thoughts to truth right in that moment and away from doubt, selfish desires, worry etc. For example, the second I start wishing I had a relationship like I see many of my friends finding, I turn my thoughts to Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I turn to TRUTH, and find PEACE.

"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." (Romans 8:5-6)

Since taking my thoughts captive, I can attest to the fact it truly does keep you from sinning. Take one thought captive at a time and watch God work in your life. It is awesome. "When we stop driving under the influence of self, and start driving under the influence of Christ...we stand in HIS GRACE, not under his wrath."

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God." (1 John 3:9)

"We are set free, justified, and made righteous under the influence of Christ."

Where are your thoughts at? One at a time...take them captive.

www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: