Tuesday, January 5, 2010

His Plan is Different Than Ours.

I recently had a conversation with a dear friend. She is going through a tough time because what she was certain of in her life isn’t working out like she had planned. I think we can all think of times in our life where this has happened, or like me….multiple times in my life :) You see, she is 100% sure that God wanted things to work out a certain way, but a “life storm” has come and altered this plan. While talking with her about this I asked,

“Are you truly trusting Christ or are you trusting yourself and your emotions?”

(something I have come to learn thanks to The Porch)

Sunday’s service was a great message and at a perfect time. Some of us may have heard messages similar before, but I think it is a great reminder. Either way I encourage you to read Matthew 7. I’m going to look at the end of the chapter, verses 24-27:

24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

When the storms of life come where do you put your trust? In yourself? Friends? Family? Or do you truly trust Christ?

When you are making everyday decisions, are you making them based on what will benefit you the most? Benefit a couple people? Or what will benefit Christ’s kingdom?

Our foundation should be the rock that is Jesus Christ and his truths found in the Bible. That way when life storms come, which they will, we will be left standing firm on our rock. The only way to know these truths and build this foundation is to spend time in the word, community, and prayerfully with God.

It’s not just enough to know what’s right, you must apply it. Sunday he spoke about not just giving “lip service” where we know a lot, can say all the right things, have every verse in the Bible memorized, but do not emulate what we know is true from the inside out.

Those times in life when what we thought should work out doesn’t, I pray that you all will trust Christ as your foundation….as your rock.

I told my community group last night…

It’s amazing that all those things I was 100% certain of I needed in life, or that I had convinced myself Christ would want for me, I do not have ANY of them. What I do have though is an indescribably peace that has come from having Christ as my rock, and having to trust Him completely through all the sunny days and storms that come my way. It is the best feeling in the world to know that the only plan I have to be 100% certain of is that Christ loves us, is trustworthy, and has me right where he wants me.

Best advice anyone has given me in my life is two words:

TRUST GOD (thanks JP!)

Praying for you all~

No comments: