Monday, January 28, 2013

Tossed in the Waves...

A conversation with my friend Cheryl Boyd got me thinking a couple weeks ago...
-Photo By Austin Walker on our Brazil trip 2010
You see in my life I am often tossed around with the waves. The little and big things in life that just kind of throw you off. My boyfriend has helped me realize too that when something comes my way I don't always initially react the way I would like to. I land in the safe place, in the calm waters, but sometimes have been tossed about before I get there. The only way to not get tossed about in the waves is to be anchored. Think of the waves and how they move about, and then picture the water down towards the bottom of the ocean near the anchor. There is a calmness near the anchor even when the waves are crashing down. When you are not connected to the anchor you are surely to be tossed about wherever the current takes you. I would love to be in the calm place, the place closest to the anchor where when the storms of life come my way, or even something small... I would love to not be moved. I would maintain that sense of peace, of calmness. I think we are all somewhere between up on the crest of the waves being tossed about, and all the way down at the anchor.

Looking at scripture we can find God teaching us about this...
"God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an ANCHOR for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf..." -Hebrews 6:18-20a

"Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is Christ." - Ephesians 4:14-15

If you actually take time to read more of Hebrews 6 you'll see that verses 13-18 remind us to not be discouraged. God is our refuge and hope, and his promises are reliable. We see this in his promises to Abraham. The two unchangeable things are God's promises and his oath. I love knowing that my God is faithful and does not lie. Then in verses 19-20 we see the we have this hope as an anchor for the soul. The anchor actually used to be a common figure for hope, and hope is the opposite of discouragement. We should not be discouraged by things, but trust in the Lord. This verse also reminds us that we are anchored to something firm, but unseen. Our hope will see us into the very presence of God. Jesus Christ has assured us of this access into the presence of God because he has gone before us.

As we are anchored, as we mature in our faith, we are no longer infants being tossed about in the waves, and blown here and there by every wind. We will be more like Christ, and marked by the fruits of the spirit. There will be a sense of peace with us even in the storms of life. 

Are you blown here and there by every wind?
Are you tossed about by the waves?
Or are you anchored securely and resting in the calmness, peace, and hope in Christ Jesus? 

No comments: