Tuesday, August 2, 2011

You. Complete. Me.

“YOU COMPLETE ME”…oh Jerry Maguire why did you have to say that??

“Think about it. If you are single, after graduation there isn't one occasion where people celebrate you ... Hallmark doesn't make a ‘congratulations, you didn't marry the wrong guy’ card. And where's the flatware for going on vacation alone” –Carrie, Sex and the City

I can’t tell you all how STOKED I am for this new series “Boy meets Girl” on relationships.http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gifI remember my first boyfriend in elementary school named Charlie. I can honestly say since elementary school I’ve been trying to understand relationships… and I am still learning.

I’ve been the “co-dependent girl”…the “I went to college in the south to get my BS degree and my MRS. degree”…the “Sex and the City girl thinking I can beat you at this game before you hurt me”…and finally (Praise God) am to the place where I am complete in Christ (Colossians 2:10).

To be honest with you all, although I’ve found my identity in Christ alone, I am a little afraid to open up to a real relationship because I am more comfortable being single where I won’t get hurt or possibly hurt someone else. It seems easier to date people that I know it won’t work with because I know how it ends, I know what’s going to happen, and I don’t have to trust God with it. I’m excited to learn with you all through this series not just about relationships, but more importantly that it’s all about our relationship with Christ. Knowing and trusting in Him.

Below are just some quotes from JP’s Summer Lovin series back in 09 and from a book I am going through now by Beth Moore called So Long Insecurity:

“Men are not our problem; it’s what we are trying to get from them that messes us up. Nothing is more baffling than our attempt to derive our womanhood from our men. We use guys like mirrors to see if we’re valuable. Beautiful. Desirable…” -Beth Moore

If you don’t have a right relationship with God, dating…it’s only going to distract you. –JP

God is love. You want to know how to love, you’ve got to go to the Father. -JP

The greatest thing you can do for them is understand how God loves you. And be complete in that, the reality is that person cannot complete you. You’re looking for them to meet a need that can only be met by God. –JP

I can't wait to start the series tonight, and to share again with you all next week! Praying for our time together now~

www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: