Monday, March 7, 2011

World: "You Don't Have Enough."

EVERYWHERE YOU TURN, THE WORLD IS SAYING: "YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH"

Real Housewives of (insert any big city), rap that sounds like "I wanna be a billionaire", people considered celebrities because they either have money or can make tons of money without any real talent (see Jersey Shore), athletes/actors signing deals worth millions at every age...our world is consumed with materialism. "The opposite of contentment is materialism." Think about that for a second...

"Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless." (Ecclesiastes 5:10)

Perfect example: Charlie Sheen. He has all the material means in the world and is a mess. As I see people spending crazy amounts of money on silly things, and then watch them just wreck their lives, I often judge. I think that is just ridiculous! They need help, not more money!http://blog.theporchdallas.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif

Then I walk into my two-bedroom apartment FILLED with stuff. I live alone, but had to have a second room because I have so much stuff. HOW RIDICULOUS! JP's message on materialism couldn't have come at a more perfect time for me. I am in the process of moving, and have been trying to decide what to do with all my stuff. As I've judged others, I am doing the same thing.

I became shocked at how much of everything I own while packing. "We keep buying more and more of what we already have." A lot of people have recommended I keep things because I "may need it in the future." Really? When? The future could be 3, 5, 10 years from now, maybe even never. So while I'm holding onto clothes, linens, shoes, etc., "just in case", people are freezing on the streets today. Yes, TODAY.

"Anything you own that you can't give away owns you."

I've decided to take on our "I Don't Need That" challenge, not just with money I spend this month, but with the things I already own. If I haven't worn it/used it in the past year, I don't NEED it. I'm working on simplifying my life. First by moving into a one bedroom, giving away/selling everything I don't use, and holding loosely those things I am keeping.

"As we chase what this world tells us we need, we lose focus of what matters."

What changes can you make in your life? Are you holding onto God's hand, or letting go of His hand chasing after materialism in this world? This is what I've found to be TRUE:

"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ." (Philippians 3:7-8)

I encourage you to spend some time in Luke 12 & 18.

www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: