Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Forgive & Love.

Last week Dave gave an awesome message on Forgiveness! Then Sunday JP gave an incredible message on Love!

While praying about what to share this week I started thinking about when I was in high school and a friend of mine had been killed in a car accident. I was absolutely devastated. It was the worst feeling in the world because the day before she was killed we had been in an argument, and I hadn’t forgiven her. For the longest time I beat myself up over this. Eventually I went out to where she was buried, forgave her, prayed, and let go of the burden I had carried for years.

In life I think we often are slow to forgive because of a couple reasons: we think that somehow we have this “power” over the other person by not forgiving them, if we do forgive they might think what they did was acceptable, we may be too prideful, or we may just not know how to forgive. None of the excuses are good or legit. Just because you forgive someone doesn’t mean you have to allow them to hurt you again, or even be a part of your life, but we are called to forgive, so that we may be forgiven. Matthew 6:14-15

Could you imagine if you were not forgiven for the things you have said and done in your life? The good news is that we are forgiven in Christ.

You see in Romans 5:8 it says, But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

When I think about why I haven’t forgiven people in my past I start to realize how silly it is that I haven’t already done so. When I did finally forgive people that have hurt me in some of the worst ways, it was the most freeing experience. I let go, and let God. I can’t even describe that peace that comes from forgiving others.

We are not only called to forgive, but we are first called to love one another. I strongly encourage you to read 1 John 4. Remember that in forgiving and loving others you are showing them Christ’s love and forgiveness. Verse 12 says: No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on LOVE, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3:12-14

God is Love.

Praying for you all~

www.theporchdallas.com

No comments: